Joint Task Force – National Capital Region (JTF-NCR) and the U.S. Army Military District of Washington (USAMDW) is a dual-hatted command serving as Guardians of our Nation’s Capital. We are responsible for conducting homeland defense and civil support operations, command and control of DoD support to national special security events, conducting military funeral honors and ceremonial support throughout the nation, supporting airlift requirements for U.S. government officials, and facilitating national outreach on behalf of the U.S. Army.
The five subordinate commands of USAMDW include The Army Aviation Brigade, the 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), The U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” the U.S. Army Transportation Agency and The U.S. Army Field Band. The USAMDW Commander has senior commander responsibilities for Fort Belvoir, Fort George G. Meade, Fort Walker, Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, the Soldier Recovery Brigade, and the U.S. Army Medical Department Activity at Fort George G. Meade.
The command serves as part of a collaborative, regional team focused on homeland defense and safeguarding the National Capital Region.
JOINT TASK FORCE – NATIONAL CAPITAL REGIONFORT MCNAIR, DC
• A joint command subordinate to U.S. Northern Command. Established in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks to address threats to the National Capital Region and provide Department of Defense support to civil authorities.
• Operates as a Joint Task Force to conduct Homeland Defense and Defense Support of Civil Authorities.
• Part of a collaborative, regional team focused on safeguarding the National Capital Region.
Relevant, ready and proactive center of excellence as a joint, interagency and local team player.
U.S. ARMY MILITARY DISTRICT OF WASHINGTONFORT MCNAIR, DC
• An operational Direct Reporting Unit to the Headquarters, Department of the Army. Conducts and supports multiple, diverse Army and Joint missions.
• Five subordinate commands, plus Senior Commander responsibilities over four geographically dispersed installations and four additional agencies.
• Serves as Department of Defense and Department of the Army Executive Agent for official ceremonies in the National Capital Region.
• General Court Martial Convening Authority for over 400 Army agencies distributed around the globe.
The Army Aviation BrigadeFort Belvoir, VA
• Provides rotary wing aviation support to homeland defense of the nation’s capital as an initial operating force to the Joint Task Force-National Capital Region.
• Provides unique Army Engineering technical search and rescue capabilities.
• Provides global fixed wing and regional rotary wing support for Army senior leadership and senior leaders across the federal government.
• Operates Davison Army Airfield and provides air traffic service support to the Pentagon Helipad.
3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard)Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, VA
• The Army’s oldest Infantry Regiment.
• U.S. Army official escort to the President and the nation’s premier Memorial Affairs and Ceremonial Unit.
• Provides Defense Support of Civil Authorities as an initial operating force to the Joint Task Force – National Capital Region.
• Connects the Army to the American public through strategic engagement events.
The U.S. Army Band "Pershing's Own"Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, VA
• Providing the soundtrack for history since 1922, Pershing’s Own is honored to serve as the premier music organization of America’s Army.
• Strengthening bonds between the Army and the American People with engaging performances in a wide variety ofsettings, producing both captivating live performances and digital social media and livestreamed concerts.
• Setting strategic environments for state and international diplomacy and peaceful transfers of power on the world stage.
• Fulfilling the sacred duty of providing military honors in Arlington National Cemetery by paying final respects to fallen comrades, aiding families in grief, and offering a gesture of lasting gratitude for a job well done.
The U.S. Army Field BandFort George G. Meade, MD
• The Army’s premier strategic community engagement musical organization.
• As Musical Ambassadors, connect the Army to the American people.
• Tours across North America and overseas telling the Army Story.
• Mission of public outreach includes prime time television appearances; partnerships with strategic federal, local and independent agencies; performances at secondary schools and universities nationwide; partnerships with USAREC and HBCUs; digital engagement expertise; and development of new musical capabilities.
U.S. Army Transportation AgencyWashington, DC
• Unique and specially trained Army Master Drivers dedicated to providing premier, world-wide ground logistics support to White House officials.
• Provides vehicle support for presidential motorcades in the National Capital Region, stateside and overseas travel.
• Mission support includes 24/7 planning and execution with interagency mission partners.
• The only all Army unit under the direction of the White House Military Office; each member earns a Presidential Service Identification Badge.
SOLDIER RECOVERY BRIGADENational Capital Region
• The U.S. Army Military District of Washington Commanding General is the Senior Commander for the Soldier Recovery Brigade-National Capital Region at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Md.
• Provides leadership, primary care, complex case management and comprehensive transition planning in support of wounded, ill or injured Soldiers.
• Contributes to the Army’s top priority of readiness by transitioning Soldiers back to the force or to the civilian sector as Soldiers for Life.
Soldier Recovery UnitFort Belvoir, VA
• Provides leadership and compassionate care to Soldiers in Transition and their Families that enables them to focus on their mission to heal.
• High quality living conditions and no unnecessary procedural delays.
• An interdisciplinary team that ensures advocacy for Soldiers, continuity of care and a seamless transition into the force or return to a productive civilian life.
U.S. Army Medical Department ActivityFort George G. Meade, MD
• The U.S. Army Military District of Washington Commanding General is the Senior Commander for the U.S. Army Medical Department Activity.
• An integrated, efficient and effective system providing care for military personnel and their Families throughout the Maryland, Virginia and Pennsylvania region.
• Providing primary care to over 63,000 beneficiaries, averaging 2.700 clinic visits daily.
• Managing the health and safety of our Military Family and sustaining the greatest medically ready force is our constant focus.
• Multidisciplinary services providing: same-day surgery, behavioral health, preventive medicine, physical therapy, pharmacy and laboratory services. Ensuring the medical readiness of Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors and Marines.
Joint Base Myer – Henderson HallVirginia
• The U.S. Army Military District of Washington Commanding General has Senior Commander responsibilities for Joint Base Myer – Henderson Hall.
• The only U.S. Army and U.S. Marine Corps joint base in the Department of Defense. JBM-HH includes Fort Myer, Fort McNair and Henderson Hall.
• Provides garrison services to over 150k service members, retirees and Families.
• Supports contingency operations in support of JTF-NCR/USAMDW in the National Capital Region.
• Home to the National Defense University and the Inter-American Defense College.
• Host to Department of Defense and Department of the Army special events and official ceremonies.
• The U.S. Army Military District of Washington Commanding General is the Senior Commander for Fort Walker.
• All-purpose regional training center serving every component of the U.S. Armed Forces, Active and Reserve, and multiple government agencies.
• Encompasses 76,000 acres, including 27,000 acre live fire complex.
• Serves as a Base Support Installation and Federal Staging Base with FEMA Region III and supports contingency operations in the nation's capital.
• The U.S. Army Military District of Washington Commanding General is the Senior Commander for Fort Belvoir
• Fort Belvoir supports more than 216,000 service members, civilians, contractors, retirees and family members from across the joint force.
• $14.9B economic impact. Largest employer in Fairfax County, Va. Hosts the largest elementary school within Fairfax County Public Schools and the Washington Metropolitan area.
• Fort Belvoir provides cyber, intelligence and logistical support to 150 diverse organizations who provide worldwide support to the armed services.
Fort George G. MeadeMaryland
• The U.S. Army Military District of Washington Commanding General is the Senior Commander for Fort George G. Meade.
• With more than 62K employees, Fort Meade is the Army’s 2nd largest installation in the continental United States by population and the largest employer in the state of Maryland with an economic impact of $22 billion dollars per year.
• Fort Meade is a federal campus with more than 119 tenant organization, including U.S. Cyber Command, National Security Agency, Defense Information Systems Agency, The Defense Security Services and Defense Media Activity. Also home to six U.S. Army Intelligence and Security Command Brigades, Marine Forces Cyber Command and Navy Fleet Cyber Command.
• Fort Meade hosts seven Anne Arundel County Schools and has more than 6,000 students both Department of Defense and Non-Department of Defense affiliated.
Joint Air Defense Operations Center | Washington, D.C.
• The U.S. Army Military District of Washington supports Army
operations at the Joint Air Defense Operations Center.
• Facilitates a critical defense mission, providing direct command and control capabilities for air security in the nation’s capital.
• Provides a permanent home for the joint team to monitor and safeguard the skies above our nation’s capital.