U.S. Army Military District of Washington’s role as Senior Commander of four Army installations puts it in partnership with the U.S. Army Installation Management Command (IMCOM) in assuring that the support provided at these facilities are adequate to the broader Department of Defense and Army missions.
We honor our national life through maintaining the dignity of its armed forces, staying connected with the American people and executing our given missions with efficiency, discipline and high morale.
Working at the most dynamic and exciting command in the military is fast-paced and challenging, but it is an honor to be entrusted with the care of the nation. Our missions include:
- Deter, prevent and respond to crisis, disaster, or security requirements in the National Capital Region (NCR).
- Serve as the core element of Joint Force Headquarters-National Capital Region (JFHQ-NCR).
- Provide priority air transport for senior Army and government officials through the executive jet fleet of the U.S. Army Priority Air Transport.
- Provide rotary-wing airlift and technical rescue through assets of the 12th Aviation Battalion.
- Oversee Army aviation in the National Capital Region, to include USAPAT and 12th Aviation, through the Army Air Operations Group.
- Serve as "Supporting Commander" responsible to coordinate and provide support for authorized military honors for funerals and memorial services, and Army ceremonial support to Arlington National Cemetery.
- Conduct official ceremonial, musical and public events, locally and worldwide, on behalf of the nation’s leadership.
- Serve as Senior Commander for Forts Meade, Belvoir, A.P. Hill and Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall (JBM-HH), formerly the Fort Myer Military Community (FMMC).
- Exercise General Officer Courts Martial Convening Authority over personnel assigned and attached for that purpose to MDW.
- Operate JPPSOWA, the Washington Area Joint Personnel Property Shipping Office, overseeing the movement of household goods for personnel coming and going in the NCR.